Main personality theories
We are intrigued by human nature since the beginning. And since then Nature & Nurture debate is also going on among behavior psychologists.
Main Personality Theories
We are intrigued by human nature since the beginning. And since then Nature & Nurture debate is also going on among behavior psychologists. Here are main Personalities Theories prevalent today to know and understand the Human Inherent Nature to try to decade the human behavior.
How Personality Theorists in the World Have Described the Four Most Common Personality Types
(Correlations are approximate)
|Know Your True Self® Research Academy|
|Hippocrates / Galen|
(Medieval Four Temperaments)
|Tim LaHaye / Littaure||Perfect|
|David W Merrill and Roger H. Reid. Personal Styles & Effective Performance||Analytical||Amiable||Driver||Expressive|
|Carl G Jung||Thinker||Feeler||Director||Intuitor|
|Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)||Introvert / Thinker||Introvert / Feeler||Extrovert / Thinker||Extrovert / Feeler|
|Peter F. Drucker||Thought Man||People Man||Action Man||Front Man|
|The Stuart Atkins LIFO system||Conserving / Holding||Supporting/Giving||Controlling/Talking||Adapting / Dealing|
|Robert E. Lefton||Submissive / Hostile||Submissive / Warm||Dominant / Hostile||Dominant / Warm|
|Animal Symbols||Beaver||Golden Retriever||Lion||Otter|
|Other well-known expressions||Processor / Cognitive / Logistical / Copliance||Helper / Interpersonal / Supporter / Submission||Boss / Behavioral / Commander / Dominance||Impulsive / Affective / Socializer / Inducement|
- **Excerpts are taken from the participant workshop handout material of ‘Know Your True Self‘ module of the workshop “The Strong Connection – Developing The Art of Connecting with People – especially with your own self”.
- This comprehensive chart above showing the correlation among different prevailing personality theories around the globe. All the theories have significant and less significant aspects. Few are more widely used whereas some are exclusively used.
- * Because there are numerous personality theories in circulation throughout the world and many a time it is very confusing and even overwhelming for the practitioner or the knowledge seeker or the common man to know which theory is correct. But here we have tried to solve that problem by taking our reference from the base of all the personality theories around the world – the ancient Four Temperament theory by Hippocrates, which described the four basic temperaments as Sanguine, Melancholy, Choleric & Phlegmatic. Actually, all the theories have been derived or taken reference from or some kind of refined version of that basic theory.
- Also, we want to acknowledge the influence of Tm LaHaye, author of Why You Act The Way You Do, and Florence Littauer whose book Personality Plus has introduced us to this amazingly simple but profound and awesome world of personalities in a simplistic way.
- Our explanation of personality theory at Know Your True Self® Research Academy (KYTS Academy) has tried to keep the interpretation at the simplistic side, which we call as Observatory Identification of Personality Types (OIPT). We have done our own research over other specialists and experts and try to make the complex world of ‘knowing our true selves’ comprehensible and understandable to even kids of young age.
If you have already self-assessed yourself, the following will help you correlate with the Temperament Glossary;
PP, PC, PM & PP :
PS: Popular Temperament (Popular Sanguine)
PC: Powerful Temperament (Powerful Choleric)
PM: Perfect Temperament (Perfect Melancholy)
PP: Peaceful Temperament (Peaceful Phlegmatic)
(In case you are yet to self-assess yourself, you can do so by choosing the assessment tab at the bottom of this page)
We are still on the journey of exploring deeper impacts of Inherent Behavior Traits/Inborn Temperaments on various aspects and areas of our lives by making sure that this information, knowledge and insights will definitely help the world to build and nurture strong relationships with our fellow human beings and above all build and nurture strong relationship with our own selves.
The Probable Next Step!
If you are on the journey of knowing and understanding yourself by understanding your Inborn Temperament, do go deep in knowing about all The Four Temperament so as to get a complete big picture of Nature and Nurture. If you are already working with your coach, make sure you do discussion, debate, questioning, seek clarity and reach to a mutual conclusion about your own Inborn Temperament.